Monday, March 24, 2008

A Conundrum!

I decided to take a break from sewing as I am looking for inspiration for a new project. So, my friend recently broke a bracelet she "borrowed" from me. Well that sounds like a good enough excuse to pick up my pliers and make some maille.

This is the first row of the weave. By itself, this weave is called "Helm Chain" but it has properties that allow it to be expanded in to a sheet.

A detail shot of how the weave looks like.

A picture after completing the second row. In this form, it is now known as "Conundrum".

A detail shot of how the two rows of Helm Chain are connected.

The bracelet is done!

A better view of the weave.

Here is one of those so called "art shots". A picture of the bracelet draped on an empty sewing spool.

For more information about making maille (I am a stickler in how it should be referred to, I hate when it is called chain mail) you can check out
M.A.I.L. - Maille Artisans International League.

As for the stats regarding the bracelet, it is a
Conundrum bracelet made with 20 gauge 3/16" nickel silver rings with 20 gauge 1/8" stainless steel connectors. All rings were purchased from The Ring Lord (my favorite place to order rings).

No comments: