Saturday, March 15, 2008

Button Vest (Work in Progress) Cont'd

Welcome to the next episode of this button vest... It seems that I got a little caught up in sewing the pocket so I missed taking a few picture of some of the intervening steps.

I cut out the pocket liners from the same fabric as my vest liner. There two sets of pocket liners, one for the top welt and one for the bottom welt. The pocket liners are sewn to their respective welts.

Here you can sew the pocket liners sewn on to their respective welts. They are laid open and pinned out of the way for the next step.

Not quite sure why I took a second shot of the pocket liners. From the looks of it, it looks like I forgot to turn the soft flash on in the first picture.

Same as above, zoom detail.

Apparently, I'm really bad at skipping steps. I forgot to take a picture of the top stitching around the welt. Sewing the top stitching will sew through a small part of the pocket liner (A 1/4 inch area around the welt). I was freaked out at first and thought I made a mistake but, this is supposed to happen.

The ends of the pocket are sewn together 1/2 about the edge of the fabric. A zig zag stitch is used on the end to prevent fraying.

Same as above.

Sewing the sides of the pocket shut. I start at the top and sew through all of the extra 1 inch allowance by the side of the pocket open and sew down until the end of the pocket.

A detailed shot.

The completed pocket.

An attempt to show the outside of the vest panel. It's unfocused so you cannot see the pocket detailing so well.

A shot of the pocket from the outside. You can still see the chalk outline of the pocket placement.
A rather blurry zoom. But you get the idea of how the completed pocket looks from the outside.

I'll work on taking pictures at each step... In the meantime, future updates to come!

No comments: