Monday, March 17, 2008

Button Vest Addendum

Here's another update for my button vest.

Since I skipped taking pictures of tracing and cutting the outer shell, I took some shots of the process with the liner.

The pattern is laid out on the pre-shrunk
fabric.
You can already see the outline of the other half of the front vest panel.

Here's a shot of my reliable fabric marker. Make sure you test any marks on a scrap corner of the fabric before actually marking on it.

The liner is cut out. You can see the seam allowance already are accounted for.

The liner and outer shell are pinned together. I made sure that the rigth sides facing inward.

Now I start sewing the two together.

I make sure that both the shell and the liner and taut so that the fabric doesn't bunch up and gather.

Almost done. I just need to sew the center facing together.

Since I didn't show it in the pictures I also made sure that I did NOT sew the bottom seams together. Not just yet anyways. I am going to turn the piece inside out so that the right sides are facing out.

Before I can turn the pieces inside out, I need to grade my seams and clip the curves in the arm holes so that they lie flat.

By doing this, I reduce the bulk under the seams.

The vest panel is turned inside out. Now the right sides are facing out and you can see the pocket. The fabric marker is included so the camera's macro setting can focus on something.

Bring out that trusty iron, and press the entire piece flat. I apply steam at the edges to ensure that that seam lies flat.

Repeat the same process with the liner.

Top stitch the pieces together. I ran a single stitch about 1/8 of an inch away from the edge. You can also see the that I have pinned the bottom seam together. Now that I have the panel how I want it, I can sew everything closed.

Progress is coming along smoothly! More updates to come.

No comments: